Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Trip to Maryland

It was a beautiful day. It was so hot, but the drive was worth the trip. A camera could never capture the beauty I saw. I just wish I had more time to spend there.

I finaly got around to visiting The Conowingo Dam again. No eagles, but lots of other birds like Herons and Orioles, and good people. Boy do I ever have to upgrade my camera! Those Orioles are so fast! I did get a fairly good picture of an Orioles butt though :<) Just look for the orange blob amongst the leaves. I'll do better next time.

The Susquehanna State Park campground it self is mostly average, but they do have some great private sites and mediocre restrooms, but there is much to see nearby. I know I only saw a fraction of what is available today, so I will have to return soon, very soon!

Rock Run and the Grist mill is very nice, it looked like the mill wheel wanted to turn, but probably not enough water to get it going today. South of the Grist Mill I saw some really cool old homes, probably from the 1800s. One has been well maintained, and one that appears to have been abandoned. I would love to get my hands on that property and restore it. Sometimes a wrong turn takes you to places that you didn't even know you want to go, but that's how I found the cool old houses and the boat launch with a view of I95.

After a great day exploring the area and seeing so many new places and things, I was getting a bit hungry, ok and thirsty. I found what I thought was a nice quiet little restaurant on my way home. It was nice, and fairly quiet, but it was definitely a biker bar. Can you picture me in a biker bar? It was fine, nice people and good food, and the Lager was nice and cold on this hot summer day.

I really enjoyed my day, and I can't wait till I visit the area again, but I wish I had someone to share the experience with. The sheer splendor of all of it can't be shared with just words or even photos. But I promised myself that I won't miss out on what I want to do anymore! I'm not, and I love it!

0 comments: