Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful

This Thanksgiving remember that it is a holiday to remind us of how we survived with a little help from others. This is the time of year to reflect on what is important in our lives and be grateful and thankful for not just our possessions, but also the people in our lives.
Remember your neighbors, your family, your friends and co-workers. They are all a part of what makes this day special. Remember the moments when each of them touched your life in a positive way. Remind yourself of how often you touched someone elses life in a positive way. Do this not to tally or measure your efforts, but to appreciate what you can do better for others.
Thanksgiving is a day for giving thanks to those that we may not have thanked or even acknowledged in the past. Take the time to thank the hair dresser for brushing the hair away from your eyes. Thank the newspaper delivery person for trying to keep your paper dry today, thank that grumpy old lady at the supermarket for not putting your eggs at the bottom of the bag, that may be all she needs to smile, just a simple thank you.

Here's my favorite part of the holiday. telling all of you why I am thankful. I'm thankful for still having a job during this economic pitfall in the US. I'm grateful for my recent rediscovery of nature and my passion for the outdoors whether near or far. I'm very happy that I finally quit smoking and the support that I have had from my co-workers. But of all the things that I am grateful for, the real joy of my Life is Lucina. When someone can make your day better just by saying hi, you can't possibly just say thanks. I am so thankful for having her in my life and I look forward to every day in front of us, and treasure the days behind us. OK, shameless use of the blog for a moment. I love you Lucina!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Addendum.
Due to a family emergency that I won't discuss, our Thanksgiving plans were abruptly changed. My younger brother and his wife took the reigns and made this a very relaxing and enjoyable Thanksgiving. The turkey was perfect, the atmosphere was light, the food was great, and my belly was full! The only things that would have made today any better, is for my dad to be well enough to be with us today, and for Lucina and her children to be here with me and my family.

I wasn't going to share these photos with anyone but family, but here they are for all of you. Never forget that family and friends are essential for surviving this crazy ride we call life.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sunrise after the first snow

On Friday we had our first snow of the season. I awoke to the surprising sound of cars driving through the snow. I hadn't heard anything about the possibility of snow, just possible scattered flurries later in the day, but we already had close to an inch on the ground.
I don't enjoy the cold weather as much as I used to, but I was so happy to see the first snow I grabbed my camera and slipped on my slippers and went out on the balcony before sunrise to take a few pictures. It was only about 25 degrees out, so I probably should have worn more than just a robe and slippers, but it was nice to see the snow again, like a long lost friend that returned. I took a few photos from the balcony, then got dressed for work and took my camera along with me to get few more shots. These intermittent flurries turned into an all day mild snow storm. We might have only had as much as an inch and a half, but the feelings both good and bad about the snow were here again. It might be a bit to early to think about, but maybe this year we will have a white Christmas.

After the nice snow we had on Friday, I woke up very early and decided to go get some sunrise photos at Silvermine Park. It was beautiful in the park, but I didn't see anything worth photographing there this morning, but I saw plenty on the way to and from the park. I still have allot to learn with this new camera because I didn't capture what I saw as well as I had hoped, but the images will forever be etched into my mind.

It was about 22 degrees but quiet and clear and the winds were still. You could hear the birds waking up with the sun, I think I even heard a Cardinal yawn. There were a few times that I pulled over to the side of the road and just stood there shivering and taking pictures, and hoping that no one would think I was a stalker or just an idiot. After a few more stops I didn't care what anyone thought. It was just me and mother nature as I watched the sun rise above the tree tops.

The last sunset photos were taken on the way home, and thank god I have anti-lock brakes because I came over the hill and saw this spot and slammed on the brakes nearly ending up in a field. I just didn't want to miss the sun piercing through the trees then cresting the hill and into the sky. I grabbed the camera and the tripod and dashed across the road to setup. Just as the sun started its fiery ascent above the trees the cold took its toll on my camera batteries, and guess what I left in the car. Now it's a race back to the car for batteries that I normally would have had with me. Boy I wish I had parked closer! I'm so glad I quit smoking or this 50 yard dash would have kicked my butt before I got the final shots, and I probably would have missed them. The photos just don't do the true beauty justice. I hate to say it, but you had to be there.

It was so inspiring to see the sun returning from it's nights slumber.

Monday, November 3, 2008

More foliage hunting

Fall is coming to an end by showing off it's full colors. It won't be long before the brilliant reds and greens and golds of fall are replaced by the dull browns and grays of winter. Before we are covered in a blanket of white, nature has to put on one last show before resting. These photos are from right here in my neighborhood and close bye. It's easy to overlook the beauty that surrounds us because it is just there. But when your eyes are opened so you can show someone else what you see, you can see things in a whole new way. Take the time to walk down the street, or drive around town and look for the beauty that is there. Don't just look for the mall, or the gas station, but all that lye's between and around you.