Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sunrise after the first snow

On Friday we had our first snow of the season. I awoke to the surprising sound of cars driving through the snow. I hadn't heard anything about the possibility of snow, just possible scattered flurries later in the day, but we already had close to an inch on the ground.
I don't enjoy the cold weather as much as I used to, but I was so happy to see the first snow I grabbed my camera and slipped on my slippers and went out on the balcony before sunrise to take a few pictures. It was only about 25 degrees out, so I probably should have worn more than just a robe and slippers, but it was nice to see the snow again, like a long lost friend that returned. I took a few photos from the balcony, then got dressed for work and took my camera along with me to get few more shots. These intermittent flurries turned into an all day mild snow storm. We might have only had as much as an inch and a half, but the feelings both good and bad about the snow were here again. It might be a bit to early to think about, but maybe this year we will have a white Christmas.

After the nice snow we had on Friday, I woke up very early and decided to go get some sunrise photos at Silvermine Park. It was beautiful in the park, but I didn't see anything worth photographing there this morning, but I saw plenty on the way to and from the park. I still have allot to learn with this new camera because I didn't capture what I saw as well as I had hoped, but the images will forever be etched into my mind.

It was about 22 degrees but quiet and clear and the winds were still. You could hear the birds waking up with the sun, I think I even heard a Cardinal yawn. There were a few times that I pulled over to the side of the road and just stood there shivering and taking pictures, and hoping that no one would think I was a stalker or just an idiot. After a few more stops I didn't care what anyone thought. It was just me and mother nature as I watched the sun rise above the tree tops.

The last sunset photos were taken on the way home, and thank god I have anti-lock brakes because I came over the hill and saw this spot and slammed on the brakes nearly ending up in a field. I just didn't want to miss the sun piercing through the trees then cresting the hill and into the sky. I grabbed the camera and the tripod and dashed across the road to setup. Just as the sun started its fiery ascent above the trees the cold took its toll on my camera batteries, and guess what I left in the car. Now it's a race back to the car for batteries that I normally would have had with me. Boy I wish I had parked closer! I'm so glad I quit smoking or this 50 yard dash would have kicked my butt before I got the final shots, and I probably would have missed them. The photos just don't do the true beauty justice. I hate to say it, but you had to be there.

It was so inspiring to see the sun returning from it's nights slumber.

3 comments:

Sue said...

All of the photos are awesome. The snow took me by surprise also. The sunrise pics were even more gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them.
Sue

Sue said...

The photos of the snow were great. It surprised me to see the snow. The sunrise pics were gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them.
Sue

Sue said...

The photos of the snow were great. It surprised me to see the snow. The sunrise pics were gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them.
Sue