Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Monday, December 8, 2008

I Quit!

For those that have known me for years you already knew that I have been a fairly heavy smoker for half of my life. I started smoking at about 20 years old as a carpenter and I have tried to quit no less then 10 times. I have smoked anywhere from a few a day to a pack or 2 a day. As a carpenter, you don't keep count, and no one pays much attention to it. I'm not a carpenter anymore, and even though others helped point out how much I was smoking, I still didn't pay attention to how much it was affecting my health and my life.

My body has been telling me to quit for years. Asthma, but there's a medication for that, High blood pressure, but there's a medication for that, excess stress, but there's a medication for that, right? Any ideas? Suggestions? just kidding.

Guess what. 30 days ago, on 11/8/08 I finally found the motivation and the strength to decide to quit. I set the quit date as 11/15/08. It's been a bumpy road, but I had already surpassed a goal by the 20th when I faltered and had a cigarette. It didn't mean that I failed, it was just a bump. That was my last cigarette 30 days, 22 hours and 15 minutes ago, but I'm not keeping track. God I would love to have a cigarette right now! Yes, I am smiling when I say that because I know that I am finally strong enough to choose not to smoke.

I don't care if pride is a sin, but I am proud of myself! I actually did it this time! I encourage all of you smokers to find your motivation and quit when you are ready to quit. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for the one you love, or for your kids or pets, or for work or financial reasons. I don't want to preach, but just quit!
I'm so glad I did!

Hay, Can I bum a smoke?

0 comments: