Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A new beginning

As we begin this wonderful new year let us not look back and ponder where we went wrong but look forward to what we will do right in the coming year.

This is just the beginning of the year that we choose it to be. We can all make our dreams and wishes come true if we just believe in ourselves and the love and kindness of friends and family and the new love that we may discover along the way. Treat each day as a blessing and discard the past as no more then a stepping stone towards your destination of happiness and fulfillment.

May each and every one of you have the most blessed new years and a lifetime of joy!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cacheing in a great Christmas gift

I've been enjoying the perfect gift for a novice geocacher such as myself. My ex was so kind as to give me a Garmin Nuvi 1200 for Christmas this year. My Magellan Triton met its untimely demise over the summer in a freak tubing accident on the Pequea Creak with some great fellow geocachers. Fortunately it was the only fatality after clinging to life support for several months. Goodbye Maggy, you will be remembered. Not fondly, but remembered none the less.

The newest member of my geocaching arsenal arrived on Christmas Eve hand delivered by an angel from above. Well ok, my ex on her way home from work, but wheres the drama in that. I tinkered, and toyed and updated and explored and when it sprang to life with its first words "Lost Satellite Reception" I was so proud! It's Alive I announced! It's Alive!!

All it needed was a little fresh air to reconnect with above. So I carefully brought it forth on its first adventures on Christmas day. It sprang to life and was eager to start its journey asking me to "drive to the highlighted route". And we were off! It pointed me right to the first geocache almost as though someone had told it right where to look. But that was simple, just a parking lot C&D. No problem for a roadworthy GPS. I increased the challenge a little and it accepted and directed me to the next just as readily as the first even though this was hidden off the beaten path a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Spoiler Alert! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Images below show the cache and may reveal the location.

The next day I invited it to go for a drive with me and it was a helpful navigator guiding me right to the park I wanted to explore. Now the real fun would begin. Sure, youre good when you have pavement beneath you, but can you handle the mud and snow? I asked. Well, not out loud, but I thought it to myself. It told me in no uncertain terms that it was ready by telling me to "proceed off road towards GC...." It even made fun of me my saying " do you want to proceed in pedestrian mode". Smart ass. It somehow knew that my car wouldn't fit on that narrow trail. Little did it know that I had gone car-hiking not long before it's birth.

Oh they grow up so fast, It pointed me along a steep slippery slope without a care in the world. It didn't want to stop, it just kept saying proceed ahead .5, .2 .1 miles towards GC....." Then, out of the fog I caught a glimpse of what it was guiding me towards. Ok show off, you found one geocache in the middle of the woods on a foggy damp day with snow all over the ground and the creek rising quickly beside us. Do it again I exclaimed! (To myself again so as not to sound like a nut in the woods). It started telling me where to go and dragging me through the mud like a scorned woman but it was determined to prove itself again. Without any care for the cold deep puddles or the freezing snow and thickening dense fog it found its way to the next cache and proudly stated "arriving at GC....."

It was so ready for one more and insisted that I follow it, like I had a choice since I had no idea where I was by this point, but the fog was so dense and it was starting to get dark. I could just barely make out the trail, but it seemed to be able to see right through the thick of it. I seemed to be walking in circles and all it did was mock me by saying over and over again "Arriving at GC....". Hay, just because you could see in the dark doesn't mean that I can you unfeeling son of a satellite! I was so hurt I told it to take me home, and it did!

The following day it had to prove itself and show me just how close it got me. We returned to the scene where I had given up the hunt in the fog, and it pointed out just how close I had been to the last cache in the park. I had let my new little buddy down by giving up, but it just wanted the adventure to continue.

We went for a drive the following day and found a great park that I have traveled past many times. it wanted me to stop in and look for its treasures, so of course I obliged. It wasn't long before it was taking me places I had never been before and showing me the hidden beauty of this park. If only people knew what was just beneath them as they walk over troubled waters and behind the bark, (hint hint) but Nuvi was willing to show me everything! 2 new caches just to show off its skills and then it was time to go home and warm up after seeing the sights with such a loyal friend.

Who knows where Nuvi will take me tomorrow,
but I know that it will be an adventure.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

White Christmas

After a severe but beautiful snow storm this past weekend, it looks like we are going to be blessed with a white Christmas this year. With up to 19 inches of beautiful fluffy snow here in Lancaster County PA and the cold temperatures, it looks like this blanket of white will be remaining through Christmas and maybe till the new year.

The snow began very early in the morning on Saturday and just kept building as the day progressed. It seemed like in no time at all the dullness of winter was replaced by a brilliant white coat that engulfed the bushes and brightened the dull, dark lifeless streets and ground. The afternoon and evening posed a challenge to most travelers whether on foot or in a car, but to get out and see this attraction was a must for all.

By Sunday morning it was evident that our work was cut out for us. The shoveling and plowing was accompanied by some frozen fingers, toes and noses, but more importantly by good friends and neighbors helping one another and embracing the snow and the joy that this holiday is bringing and the wonderland that god has created for us. The kindness of strangers was not lost on me when I was lucky enough to have my car pulled from a snow bank unharmed unlike my pride. Those who helped asked nothing in return and quickly drove off after freeing me from my chilly predicament.

The snow left behind such a picturesque scene almost as though some higher hand had reached down and touched the land to bring a bit more joy to all during this blessed time of year. This snow arrived just in time, not to disguise the cold realities of winter, but to warm the hearts of those who appreciate the good tidings and cheer that abound this time of year.

Merry Christmas everyone,
and have a wonderful and blessed New Year!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mill Creek nature Hike

All summer long I had planned on checking out some possible trails nearby but I never quite made it. Today was such a beautiful clear cool December day I decided to go check the area out by myself. It would have been nice to have someone there to share it with me, but it was still enjoyable.

This park along the Mill Creek in Lancaster County Central Park was a surprise to me because it is right on the outskirts of Lancaster City. I knew of the general area and had passed by this park many times over the years. It's actualy called Mill Creek Campground, but I suspect it is for large groups like scouts and chuches and schools etc... I don't think individuals are alowed to camp there, but I will look into that because it would be a great place to camp under the stars.

At one end of the trail there is a 19th century metal bridge that many people call the singing bridge. There is also a beautiful 19th century mansion near that bridge. At the other end, I was surprised to come to the base of a covered bridge. I had been on that covered bridge once before, but I didn't expect to encounter it on this hike. The trail continues past this covered bridge, but it was starting to get dark and I didn't bring water so I turned back. I will have to explore the trail further on the other side of that covered bridge.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Feeling like a turkey

Well, it's not easy for me to be thankful at thanksgiving this year with all that has happened this year. Unemployment, "love" found and lost, losing the best friendL and most important person in my life, the rapidly aproaching challenges etc...

but I gotta say. It's actually been a great year despite the ups and downs. I quit smoking over a year ago and I have to admit that I am proud of that as well as being thankful. I have enjoyed every season on the trail, in the woods or on the road like no other year in a very long time. I have put more miles on the bike this year then I have in awhile. I discovered the joy and challenge of geocaching. I have met some wonderful people and made some great new friends both near and far. I met a wonderful young lady who later broke my heart, I have been introduced to some great music and best of all, I have two precious little ones on the way next year. The only thing that would make me more thankful is to have someone special in my life to share all of these gifts with.

The best thing I learned this past year is that today will be gone tommorow so live for today before it is over and make today worth remembering and make tommorow worth looking forward too.

I am so thankfull for being able to put food on the table, gas in the tank, keep a roof over my head and the lights turned on and somehow still I can find the time to visit the great outdoors and be amazed by the beauty that the lord has blessed all of us with if we just open our eyes.

If you are thinking to yourself that you have nothing to be thankful for, think again. You are able to read this good or bad because you woke up this morning, you have access to a computer and the internet, you have the right to read what you choose to without censorship, you can take some time from your day for yourself instead of work or family. Because of these simple things you have more reason to be thankful because of the oportunities infront of you if you choose to make the best of what's available and make today or tommorow something to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Lifes worth living so Gobble it up!    (sorry, I had to :<)

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Shenks Ferry Hike and Cache I'm Back!

Depression sucks so I refuse to accept it and just move on without her. I'm gonna live my life and enjoy each day as much as I can. Today in Shenks Ferry was an eye opener and I can't wait to share places like this with the twins someday. I don't know how to be a single father of twins, but I will do my best and I will bring them to places like this so that they appreciate how precious they are to me and how important it is to apreciate nature.

It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining through the clouds and peeking through the tree tops guiding my every step. If only my GPS was as good of a guide, but in the end, as broken as it is, it still led me to the prize after many choice words, battery changes and restarts.

I found this place by accident when looking for a place to get away from everything that's been going on and missed most of it the first time I was here because doing 60 on a winding dirt road requires concentration and a better car then mine. I almost ditched it a few times, but it survived minus a few missing chunks.  I can't believe I drove my car all the way back through this at that speed but I knew that I had to come back to see this in a possitive frame of mind.

When I came back today I was amazed by what I missed the last time. The workmanship, detail, and colors of the tunnel to start out with made me see that life needs to be paid attention to. As I walked along taking in the sounds like a bird that sounded a little like a yiping Chihuahua and the Hawks, Blue Jays and Black Capped Chickadees etc... everything else just fell away. Not less important, but less imposing and less of a burden. I walked a few more miles and wandered way off the path down the fire brake just to see what was there. I upset a few critters that I never saw in the dense brush, but it was a nice walk.

I ventured back to the actual Preserve and followed the trail and it was very nice wandering along the streem bed. I was impressed how well most of the trail is maintained. There were even benches along the trail in a couple of places so you could sit and apreciate nature. I stopped short of following the trail to the end by following a different trail that led me to the geocache, but I will be back to see the rest of this park. I can't wait to see it in the spring since it is a wildflower preserve. The cache was a bit further off track then expected, but in pretty good shape. It's not about the geocache  its about the adventure

Monday, November 2, 2009

Love is a myth

Whenever I think I know what love is I find out that I am wrong so true love must be no more then a myth. Something to seek but never find. something to want but never aquire. Something to desire but never achieve no matter how hard you try. How did this change so quickly and how did I open my heart to someone so completely to have it torn out and stomped on like an insignifacant part of my being.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

One

Is true love no more then a fleeting glance that only impales the heart long enough to wound it forever in a way that it wants more but can not tolerate the pain? For me it should mean more then just coexistence. It should be a melding of the mind and body and spirit of two individuals creating one new being that call themselves one.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

New Holland Fair

Today we had a great time at the New Holland Fair. Now that's a huge fair! This is more like the local fairs I remember as a kid back home with rides and lots of vendors. It was great getting a chance to spend time with Miranda's son Zachary and our friends. I haven't been on a fair ride or roller coaster since senior week, and that was, well a while ago. OK, 1985, but I'm not keeping track. I went on a couple of rides with Miranda and loved every minute of it even though I have to admit that I am afraid of heights.

The rain held off for most of the day, but as soon as we got on the Ferris wheel it started sprinkling then raining a little bit harder. Before we got off of the Ferris wheel it was raining fairly steady and we had to share my coat to keep dry. The rain barely effected our fun as we wandered around the streets visiting the other rides and vendors and games before it was time to go. Just as we started on our way back to the car the rain started to get a bit heavier again, but it was still such a fun evening at the fair.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Two Gifts

Love and life are precious gifts not to be squandered or taken for granted so when a new life or two is brought into this world it should be seen as a miracle of Gods love to grant this joy on each of us.

Miranda and I are so grateful for the
TWINS that are on their way.

Our love for each other is as precious as a rose so here are two roses for our twins who will share in the love we have for one another.

As a first time father to be I am looking forward to the gifts and challenges ahead of me that twins represent. I know that the love and support from Miranda and my family and friends will be more then enough to guide me and help me be the father that these little gifts from above deserve.

Wow!  I'm gonna be a daddy!  To twins!
So Much, So Fast, So Lucky.
I am blessed.
I hope.

Friday, September 25, 2009

West Lampeter Fair

Today we attended the West Lampeter Fair near our home. Even though I have lived in this area for close to 18 years, neither of us had ever been to this fair before. It was allot of fun and so nice to get out on a nice cool evening. There were probably thousands of people at the fair, but it only started feeling a little bit crowded when it came time to visit the funnel cake stand. You just can't go to a country fair without eating some funnel cake.

There were tents filled with sponsors and exhibitors and crafts and of course animals everywhere you looked. The tractors and farm equipment was interesting but is was allot more fun watching the Western Horse Show. Miranda and I enjoyed wandering the fair grounds and seeing all of the pigs, goats, rabbits and cows etc... My favorite was an art exhibit showing off some excellent photos and some great paintings. We finished the night off when our best friends showed up so we could spend some time with them at the fair. I hope this is a sign of the fun we will be having this fall.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

TMI Steam Generator in Lancaster County PA

On Tuesday we watched one of two new Steam generators being transported from Port Deposit MD to the TMI (Three Mile Island) Nuclear Plant in Middletown PA. These generators are huge! Each weighing 510 tons and a weight of 825 tons including the transports each with 26 pairs of axles. These massive transports measured 153 feet long, 24 feet high and 17 1/2 feet wide. They crept along at a mere 3 miles per hours so keeping up with them was quite easy.

This is a rare event for a small Lancaster County town like Nottingham or Little Britain where we watched them and they will be passing within 2 blocks of our home on Thursday the 17th. We are looking forward to watching them again on that day if our schedules allow us to do so.

Updated 9-19-09:

The generators were delayed 24 hours by a very steep hill and some rain, but they passed by our home on Friday morning. Following the south bound lane of route 272 heading north gave them a wider, more stable stretch of highway rather then going through this rustic little town of Willow Street in the north bound lanes of this split highway. North bound is narrow and has so many wires crossing that it was safer, faster and I'm sure cheaper to use the newer section of highway that was added back in the 80s that bypasses the heart of town.

I got on my bike and rode only 2 blocks to get a great view of both generators which traveled closely together. I followed them as they passed through the area. The turn out for this leg of the journey was impressive. I would be surprised if there were less then 500 or 600 people watching the generators go by. The local shopping center called Kendig Square was loaded with peole and so many cars. It took hours for the cars to dissipate after the show. Aparently I'm not the only one that was impressed by this type of event in such a small town like Willow Street PA.

Note: These massive generators were actually manufactured in France and shipped overseas for installation at Three Mile Island which is the Nuclear plant that had the partial meltdown in 1979 near Harrisburg PA.

More info for you from our local TV station WGAL 8.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Silvermine on a new path

While walking a new trail in Silvermine Park North, a fellow hiker, with much better eyes then mine, spotted and caught several tiny little toads, some no bigger then a dime. You just never know what you're going to see in the woods if you keep your eyes open. She even spotted a 3/4 inch long Centipede, which you will see is even smaller then her wedding ring.

They are doing such a great job at that park and I hope they keep up the good work.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Return to The Cow Hurling Incident

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about tubing on the Pequea and the Geocache that we had retrieved. Well my camera was soaked too and I didn't get any pictures of the cache so I returned today. I am so glad that I did because this section of the Conestoga trail is nice and flat and parallels the Pequea creek on a nice little traveled road. After crossing the bridge that was closed I wandered up stream towards the treasure. What a nice quiet country road. The Heron was even quiet as he flew down stream looking for lunch. I found the cache again to get my photos, but the best things I saw were the delicate little flowers along the side of the road. Some of these flowers I had never seen before.

CITO in Rays Woods

Wow, another week has already passed by without me writing. I have less time now that I don't have a job then I did when I was working, but looking for work is a full time job. Last saturday, the 25th, I went out on my First CITO Event in Rays Woods. Only 3 other geocachers showed up and only one person from the Lancaster County Conservancy. The five of us worked hard and laughed plenty, sharing experiences and tips and ideas.

When you first walk into the woods it looks pristine and tranquil. The tranquility wears off after you look a little bit closer between the ferns and leaf litter. This beautiful place had been a dump for the locals for hundreds of years. Nature has done a great job of reclaiming the organics like food waste, papers and certain plastics etc.., but the glass and most of the metal that "we" have left behind will be there for centuries if ignored.

This was the second CITO event here, so when I arrived there was already a mound of trash bags that needed to be moved so they could be hauled out of the woods before we even started picking up the trash on the forest floor. Within an area the size of the average first floor of a home we filled an additional 20 or more bags of garbage and discovered numerous antique bottles and interesting trinkets. It seemed like just when you think you are done in a spot, you discover another layer of trask below you, Just keep on digging. To know that fellow hikers can enjoy this place safely and animals can walk through the woods without cutting themselves makes it all worth the effort.

Reminder: CITO means Cache In Trash Out, and please never forget that whatever you take into the woods should come back out with you. Pack it in Pack it out is a simple rule to keep nature natural.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I love you, goodbye

I wish my words were enough Lucina.
I will always love you, goodbye Sunshine.

To have known a woman like Lucina makes me the luckiest man in the world and she will always be my friend no matter the distance between us.
I am blessed to have known her,
and I'm sorry to say goodbye.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bison Tubing on the Pequea

Today I decided to join some fellow Geocachers for an event at Sickmans Mill on the Pequea Creek in Lancaster County PA. We went tubing on the Pequea, and yea, this time I actually did go tubing. I left the bike at home so I could go with them. I'm glad I did. It was so relaxing and invigorating and interesting. I haven't gone tubing since the 80's, and back in the old days they were just inner tubes not these new fangled, canvas covered, handle bearing, multi-colored floating devices. The new tubes are much better. And don't call me grandpa! I'm used to walking along beside the streams and rivers as I hike, so I felt a bit like a fish looking out of the fish bowl for a change. I loved it!

It was so nice floating down the Pequea, and trying to anchor myself long enough to get some pictures, and a couple of movies. I really enjoyed the conversations with other tubing cachers and relaxing while the water swept us slowly down stream. Then someone, (I won't mention your name Lynn) said, Hey, one of the caches is up there, and pointed up the side of the hill along the stream. Three of us were foolish enough to climb the steep bank to get to this cache. I was last since I had dropped my GPSr in the water and had to retrieve it. Boy was I relieved when I found it. Note: The Magellan Triton 300 A. does not float as advertised, and B. is not water proof as advertised. But it will survive I hope. Anyway, the other two found the cache and were nice enough to let me log it as well. We only found out later that this cache was not intended to be retrieved from the water like we did. You're supposed to go to it from the trail/road that parallels the creak. It didn't matter, it was fun and an adventure.

After tubing we went back to the mill for a nice picnic and more conversation, and a tour of the mill. The owner has done an extremely good job of restoring this old mill from the mid 1800's. Some of the group went for round two on the Pequea, but I stayed behind with the others and enjoyed the sun and company and conversations.

I still think it is ironic that the van to pick us tubers up had a leaking tire. All he needed was, guess what, a new tube for his tire and he was surrounded by them.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Goin' Batty

People are so worried about bats because of all of the horror stories and urban legends. I welcome bats in my back yard because they do such a great job with insect control. They eat the bugs that bite us, like mosquitoes, gnats, some flies etc...

They won't nest in your hair unless you have a maggot farm up their. They won't swoop down and bite you on the neck. Generally speaking they don't want anything to do with us so they try to stay away. They only cross our paths because we provide a condition that encourages bugs to gather, so they come for dinner with no intention of staying too long unless the buffet is open all night long. We might have a light that draws in the mosquitoes and moths, or an opening that gives the bats a place to sleep in peace during the day. Whatever it is that draws them to your home is good for them and they are good for you. However, you should try to keep them out of your home and provide them with their own bat box either on the side of the house, or on a post, or on a nearby barn or shed.

Note: it is not recommended to handle bats, but this poor guy had recently passed when he was found by a neighbor, still hanging from a window sill. And don't worry, that is black paint and grease on my hand, I was working on the bike at the time.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ride to Shiprock Woods Nature preserve

Today was one of those days where I couldn't decide if I wanted to go bike riding or hiking. The weather forecast was warning me not to do either, but I had to get out! So I decided to do both.

I hopped on the Bike and enjoyed most of the ride until the right pedal decided that it was time to retire. I barely made it to the top of the hill, and when I stopped I accidentally kicked the pedal off of it's axle or stem. I was able to do some temporary repairs using nothing but my pocket knife, so I continued to Shiprock.

Have you ever had a great idea that you thought might not be such a good idea any more? Well, my right pedal has no bearings and wants to fall off. Storms are rolling in and the winds are picking up. It's getting darker in the middle of the day, but hey! I made it this far, why not go for a hike as planned?

After locking up the bike so the squirrels wouldn't take it for a joy ride, I explored these trails and saw them for the first time even though I had been here before. The birds, the sound of the wind rustling through the canopy, the dogs barking in the distance, ok I could have done without the dogs barking, but otherwise it was great.

After returning to the bike for the ride home, the only natural path was directly past Pequea Valley Hotel. A local bar that I used to frequent in my past after my divorce. I wanted to go in, but I chose to continue my ride instead. It was a bit of a push since it is all up hill from Shiprock, but I rolled back into Willow Street with a sore left leg and a great day to remember.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Passing Wind

It's been a busy week of job hunting and testing Windows 7. A new weekend is coming so I thought you might want to hear about last weekends hike and Earth Cache. It was an excellent hike on the Conestoga Trail which parallels the Susquehanna River here in Lancaster County. The section I was on took you to the peak of a steep slope and to a cave which few people even know is there. I found it thanks to geocaching.com. This was what they call an Earth Cache. With an earth cache there is no hidden box or anything, the real prize or treasure is the place itself. They called this Earth Cache "Passing Wind" probably because it is called Wind Cave and it is so easy to pass right by it when you are on the trail. It is also called Cold Cave and Pequea Cave. It turns out that when I was hiking in Reed Run and then House Rock Run nature preserves back in the Spring, I had ventured to within 1020 feet of this cave and I had no idea until last weekend.

I loved the hike and ventured a short distance into the cave, but I soon realized that I was extremely ill-prepared. I had told people where I was going, but I was hiking alone as usual. I decided that exploring a cave alone with such basic flashlights was not such a great idea. I left the cave, but I have every intention of returning with someone to share the experience with, oh and to cover my back in case something happens.

After I left the cave I wandered along the trail for awhile and saw either a young female Eagle or a large pale Hawk. They tend to stay above the canopy, so you only get a second or two view them. I also saw what I think was a Pileated Woodpecker. It was very large with a red head, black body, and white or pale gray underwing, but that may have been poor lighting. It was so graceful and fast even in the dense woods. It was definitely a large wood pecker because it landed on a dead tree and the pecking commenced. If it wasn't a wood pecker then this big bird must have locked his keys in the tree and he kept knocking hopeing for someone to open the trunk for him.

You may see in one of the pictures that locals had left trash on the trail. I usually try to keep a shopping bag with me to pick up a little bit of trash I find on the trails so I can dispose it. I have never filled a bag so quickly and I barely made a dent in the litter. Geocachers do something called CITO or Cache In Trash Out. It's a way to take care of the trails and repay nature and the trail blazers. This is a great place for a CITO event where many people get together to gather trash and clean the trail in a certain area. See the link to the right if you want to know more about CITO or geocaching.

Well I better get some rest, who knows where the trail will take me this weekend.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Windows 7 is in the breeze

Have you heard. There is a new Windows opening up and the first draft feels pretty good. It's a pretty cool breeze so far. Ok, enough puns, but Windows 7 is pretty cool!

Those of you who know me will be surprised when I suggest to at least try Windows 7. If you like XP and you wished that Vista was better, then you will love this. It's "Vista" done right with enough "XP" to keep it familiar to most users. I'm testing Windows 7 RC on an old Dell Dimension 2350 bare bones system and aside from having to update my onboard audio and video drivers, it has worked flawlessly! I'm still playing with it, I mean testing it, but so far I am impressed. Even on this older system it is running very well. It's fast and so far very reliable. (Note the low CPU usage and acceptable RAM usage. This is with  a few programs open including Media Player wirelessly streaming music from my music server in another room.

Much of this OS is different from what you were used to in XP, a little bit like Vista, but basically all its own. This feels like a complete rework of Vista. There are few prompts like Do you want to open X? Why would you have clicked on it if you didn't want to open it! The start menu is well layed out and less cluttered looking then Vista. The only gripe I still have is having to hunt to create a restore point, but at least you can create restore points like in XP. The networking controls are a bit confusing at first and not all of the tools you need are in the same place. For example when you setup a new wireless conection there is no where to indicate what type of WEP key you are using so you will not be able to connect until you left click on the wireless icon in the sys tray and then right click on the connection you want to use and choose Properties. This should be in the same place as creating a new conection, but they will fix that I'm sure.  I'm still not a fan of Internet explorer 8, but that's why God created Fire Fox (just kidding).

I normaly wouldn't suggest that you buy an OS or any program, but right now you can buy Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade from Amazon.com for only $49.95! You probably won't beat that price anywhere. I normaly wait until the first Service Pack comes out after real people like you and I have used a new OS and worked most of the bugs out of it, but the Release candidate that I am using has very few bugs. The final retail version will probably be excellent for most of you right out of the box.

Just to make it clear, this is not a paid endorsement, I am not getting a dime from Microsoft or Amazon.com for this post, I just wanted all of you to know about it. If both of you enjoy the article and the OS, I will be happy. If you hate it, then, they made me do it!  {:^)

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Willow Street Festival

The Willow Street Independence Day Festival was held on Willow Valley Farm this year for the first time. It looked like it might rain at times, but you could not have asked for better weather. There were so many people who attended this event. It seems like 2/3rds of the town plus some showed up to have some fun tonight. The crowd was great and the fireworks at the end were excellent.

These photos barely capture the magnitude and expanse of this event.

Here are some movies, and animated stills for your viewing pleasure as well

I hope that they hold the festival here again next year and do as great a job as they did with the fireworks again.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Trout Run Cache Stage 2

This was my first multicache. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't notice on my GPSr that it was a multicache, or I would have waited to do stage 1. I found stage 1 when hiking on the rails to trails nearby. If you look back on my May 31st entry you will see that I took the wrong path to get to the cache, but I still found it. If not for the rain I would have looked for stage 2 that day, but I had to back track to the car several miles away before the skies opened up.

Here is a reminder of my wanderings that day.

If you're not familiar with geocaching or what a multicache is, basically you are given coordinates to a geocache or cache. That is your "prize". With a multicache the first stage is a cache that only has coordinates to the next stage or another cache. Sometimes, but not always, this second stage is the "real cache" but it can also just have clues or coordinates to another site for the next cache.

I had to come back for stage 2 today and I'm so glad I did. Today I entered the preserve from the recomended parking area on Stump Rd. This is definately the best way to access this great place. This preserve is so full of interesting sounds and plants, and the streams are the musical backup that the birds need to complete there song.

This is such a beautiful preserve that I highly recommend that you take the time to explore it even if you are not interested in geocaching.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Rays Woods Nature Preserve

This was a very nice short hike on Sunday afternoon. This preserve is right behind a small group of homes nestled into the woods and surrounded by farm land. I enjoyed the abundant wild life like birds and deer and at least one hawk. Not one of them would pose for me however. This place looks so pristine until you see all of the trash that fellow geocachers gathered recently so it can be removed from the woods. They have done a great job cleaning up this area.

If not for the trail markers you would barely know that you were on a trail at times. The understory of ferns and other plants is so dense that at times you don't even see the ground you are walking on. I recommend that you bring a walking cane or a stick or walk with a heavy foot as you go through these areas because if you can't see the ground, what else can't you see?

YouTube! Cache Event

This was my first Geocaching event. I decided that I should ride my mountain bike to this event even though I don't ride as often or as far as I used to. It was a great event, tubing on the Pequea Creek. I chose not to go tubing, but the scenery and people were great. The terrain however was a challenge that I'm proud to have conquered. I look forward to seeing all of these people soon. It was a great ride and a great day.

Oh never mind, you have to see this cache!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Martic Township Park Hike & Cache

On Wednesday I went for a hike in search of a cache. I had put it off since the last time I was here it was a bit challenging since I was still smoking. Wow what a difference since I quit. I didn't want to stop hiking even after I found the cache! This is such a picturesque place. The terrain just keeps you wanting to see what is on the other side of the next hill or what's in the next valley.

For some reason this hike became more about the bugs then the cache even though the cache was very well hidden and an enjoyable find. It started almost as soon as I got there. I am normally not bothered too much by gnats, flies or mosquitoes during the day, but they all made there presence known as soon as I hit the trail. I'm thinking it was the pancakes for breakfast which is out of the ordinary for me.

After finding the cache I was attracted by a wild daisy with a very small garden wasp on it. It just seemed like something you would see, well, in a garden, not in the middle of the woods.

As I wandered along the path I saw many interesting plants, structures and insects like the Jade colored beetle and the moth that looked like a flying leaf. But the oddest bug landed on my sunglasses just as I got in the car to go home. I thought it was a smudge as I put my sunglasses on and started to pull away, then the smudge moved.

I gently tapped him off of my sunglasses onto the trunk, but I have no clue what that bug is that I chased across the trunk of my car to get a picture of. If you are wondering, the end with the "pincers" and feelers or antenna is the front, or at least the direction it moves very fast in. I have to admit that it was a bit unnerving to have this critter less than a quarter inch from my eye after I think about it.

I loved this hike and the cache and even the bugs, ok, not the gnats in the corner of my eye or the mosquitoes, but the rest of it. I actually went for a short bike ride that night to see the stars, sorry no photos, but to be able to ride a short distance and see so much more of the sky woke me up and made me feel alive at midnight.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Don't Give Up

I have always loved this video and I decided to share it today based on recent events. I won't give up, but there are some that see being unemployed as an end. Never forget that you have friends and that there is another day approaching.

Make tomorrow the day that you wish yesterday had been! It's up to you! it's up to me! It's up to all of us to make each day better then yesterday by putting our past behind us and working towards our future.

Greet each day with a smile and a positive attitude and hold on tight to the ones you love and trust. Let them be your rock, your moon, your sunshine while you open your heart to them because everyone benefits from a warm hug even from afar.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Steinman Run Nature Preserve hike & Cache

Yet another great nature preserve within a few miles from home. I looked for the cache on Sunday the 14th, but since I didn't reed the logs first, I thought my GPSr was wrong so I turned back. It was telling me to go west, but the only thing to the west was dense forest. A nature preservation trust would never want you to go bushwhacking so it had to be wrong.

I would have known it was a loop if I had read the logs first LOL. I found the cache and continued the loop eventually covering familiar ground again. It's so nice back in there, and I will try to find out what the small white plants are.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Ride in the woods

I'm no biker dude, just a bike rider and I'm loving it again. Granted, I won't be riding 70 to 120 miles a day like I used to years ago, but each ride is interesting and fun, and sometimes painful but always worth it. This trip was on some nice trails nearby. I used to ride trails like these as fast as I could go to challenge myself and for the excitement. Now it's a challenge just to stay upright at lower speeds and I was wishing I had my helmet. None the less it was an exhilarating ride and a nice workout.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Smile

Tomorrow is a new day
so always look forward to putting the past behind you.
Greet each day with a smile and accept what each day brings.
Keep a positive attitude and the rest will fall into place.
Unemployment is not the end of the world.
It is an opportunity to reinvent and rediscover yourself.
Live it, love it and embrace what ever is next!
Enjoy the ride even though it might be bumpy at times.  
No matter how bad it gets.
Just remember to
Smile.

I love this un-rehearsed video by Charise Pempengco

Be sure to visit  www.charicepempengco.com

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A firey Sunset

No color modification. This is what I saw tonight.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pequea Marina, Rails 2 Trails and Trout Run Nature Preserve

It was a great weekend. I started on Saturday morning at the Pequea Marina. They just recently opened the new bridge the new parking lot right on the river. Today the river was higher then I have ever seen it. It had overflowed into the parking lot by up to 17 feet in places. It's always nice to be on the river.

Then I decided to check out some new trails in Pequea at the Pennsy Rd Underpass. This is part of the Rails to Trails project. Recently opened to the public. There is a geocache at the end, but I decided not to look for this one and to allow others to ensure that it is still there and in good shape. My fear of heights has nothing to do with it, I just don't want to deprive others by me finding it.

Keep your eyes open for Bald Eagles, Vultures, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Indigo Buntings and so much more while there. The fairly recent avalanche is also interesting if you enjoy geology. I just like interesting rock formations, and these are interesting. I picked up a piece of the fallen rock and it crumbled easily in my had. No wonder it crashed to the ground leaving a scar so high up the hill side.

On Sunday I was only going to follow the Rails to Trails path East, but my GPS told me that I was close to a nearby cache, so I added the hike around then back through Trout Run Nature Preserve. What a place. If you decide to enter the park from the rail bed. Follow the trail along the stream, not the one to the right that takes you to the top of the hill like I did. It only takes you as far as some homes 1 1/2 miles up the hill, then the trail ends. I wasn't about to turn back after 1.5 miles so I carefully wandered through the field and forest following nothing by my gut and my GPS. I figured it would take me to the cache in the park so 2 problems solved. I'm not sure which was more dense, me or the forest. I found my way back to the park and the cache, but I never want to do that again without telling anyone where I am. I encountered wetlands, bogs thick thorn patches, stream crossings, ground hog holes stone flies and so much more. All that on a Red Beat egg for breakfast. I guess I didn't think this one through very well, because I also only had a Quart of water with me and no snacks and no phone service. But it was still a wonderful hike today even though it kicked my butt!

Monday, May 25, 2009

The end of a great weekend and so much more

Sunset on Memorial Day thinking of Lucina.
Wishing she was here and knowing that she can't be.
As the sun sets here it is rising for her.
How will the fiery glow of the sun touch her new day?
Will it bring joy to her heart?
Or just be a reminder of the distance between us as it did for me at this moment.

Taken with my cell phone while watching the sun set.
I used my sunglasses as a filter.
Truly through my "eyes" or at least through my lenses.

Love should have no borders or rules. It should be allowed to follow the natural path as it is explored. there should be no reason why the past cannot be put behind us and the present be lived to the fullest.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Is that cache in your pocket or just a GPS?

My first Geocache on the bike. It was late at night and I tried to be inconspicuous when looking for a cache tonight, but I think looking for a micro cache at night without a flashlight is probably a bad idea. I used the light from my GPS to brighten the area, but it didn't reveal the cache, just me. I saw lights in windows turning on and eyes watching as I wandered around. I was right there! No a step to the left, nope too far I passed it, then I used the GPS display light one too many times. It died, not its fault, I guess I'll have to come back for this one.

Susquehannock State Park 5-23-09

What a wonderful day in a great park! The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the Eagles were flying! So of course, I was snapping photos while hiking and exploring this beautiful park in Drumore PA overlooking the Susquehanna River. It must have been time for white flowers to bloom be there where white blossoms and flowers all along the trails. There were several different varieties, all beautiful.

I found a geocache along the way, so if you are a cacher, don't look at the photos.

It was also great to see 2 Bald Eagles today, but unfortunately, no photos this time. I guess that means I will have to go back, soon and often. I haven't been here in 17 or 18 years, but it was even better then I remember.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Comunity Days at silvermie and a peak at the Silver Mine

This weekend Pequea township had their second annual "Community Days" event at the Silver Mine park. I can't tell you how happy I was to see this park so alive and full of life. The park was packed, but not crowded. More smiles per mile then you can count.
I am so impressed by the work of the township and volunteers that have revived this park from the dead and are bringing new life to it.

Thank you!

I had a great day in the park, and as a bonus I also had the opportunity to explore the actual Silver Mine that gives this park it's name. It is normally off limits to the public, but they offered guided tours of the mine this weekend. It's an exploration that reveals our past and the formation of this region. What an interesting tour.

I can't thank the people who have brought this park back to life enough.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cacheing in at Silvermine

You may already know that I love going to a local park here in Lancaster County PA. It's called Silvermine Park in Pequea Township. I love this park. It has so much to offer and so close to home. It's a great place for the family for walking, biking, hiking, bird watching, or even geocacheing.

I found 3 of the 4 geocaches so far. One has eluded me so far. That just gives me another reason to go back again. I Am always amazed by what I find when I am not looking and tonight after work I found a wild "pitcher plant" called "Jack in The Pulpit" here in this park while trying to get a better view of a cache site. I also wandered into the cave a little bit this time. It was so cool! Literally!

PS
The first cache was supposed to be in a half gallon container with a red lid. Guess what, I found a half gallon container with a red lid. I was surprised to see the cache in such poor shape and no log or trinkets inside, just ants and mold, and why would anyone use a sprayer?

It wasn't the cache, just a discarded half gallon sprayer with a red cap. I went back and found the real cache that I nearly tripped on the first time and retrieved the garbage I discovered so it could be thrown away. CITO!

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shiprock Hike and geocache

I'm feeling better, so I decided to look for some geocaches today. It was beautiful weather, and I decided to stay local again. Both caches have been on my to-do list, but now that my GPS actually works like it should, I had to go "hunting" for the elusive cache. The first was at Shiprock Nature Preserve In Willow Street PA. This geocache was here in town, which I didn't even know existed until I started using www.geocaching.com. This preserve is wonderful, and well maintained.

It was such a nice hike in the woods. The sun kept trying to peek through the clouds and the newly forming blanket of leaves on the trees. This preserve is alive with life both flora and fauna, the birds and squirrels own this sanctuary, but there was also an unseen visitor that I wish I had captured with my camera.

There were more Blue Jays and Cardinals then you can throw a stick at, by the way, don't do that. (I don't know where the phrase came from either) I think I also saw a Brown Headed Cowbird, but he seemed out of place in the woods.

I was determined to find this cache now that I have a working GPS unit. It didn't let me down even once today. No crashes or dumps or resets. No lost tracks or misdirection. This thing even locks in when I am inside a building now!

Any way, the hide was excellent! I only found it because the GPS said it was "here" but I couldn't see it. I decided to look for a place that I would put it if I was hiding it. I saw a great place, and it looked like there might have been activity there. But why put it on the back side of that tree? Nope, closer then you think. My dog feels so bad the way you used his words, but so happy to be at the base of that tree. Hint hint.

I was so happy to find that geocache that I had to look for another that I have passed by many times. This is in my daily travels, and some of the photos I took I have been meaning to stop and take for awhile, but the Cache was my incentive to explore. I discovered a trail that I might have to get permission to travel on that follows an old railroad bed. This cache gave me an opportunity to walk where I normally drive, so I could take some photos of a couple of interesting buildings and a root cellar.

~~~~ Spoiler alert again! ~~~~~
Some of these photos show the cache and it's location.

What a great place for a geocache! It's obvious that the person who placed it apreciates the beauty and charm of Lancaster County. The Amish farm nearby with the root cellar and the chickens and the old rail station are emblematic of Lancaster County Pennsylvania. The Farmstead nearby is a treasure from the past. You may notice that the white barn was built by Andrew and Kate Mehaffey in 1878.

This was such a relaxing day filled with new sites and closer looks at familiar places. It's never too late to look in your back yard for treasures. I keep finding treasures everyday.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Orange you glad that it's Spring?

From Spring 2009

Monday, May 4, 2009

A Wisterius Pine

A Wisteria vine growing on some pine trees.

Friday, May 1, 2009

To be a Taurus

We are Taurean.
That's what makes us strong and powerful but still gentle and tender.
We are passionate and loving, while being independent and self reliant.
We give without expectations but we love adoration or to receive in turn.
We don't see the glass half empty or half full, we simply fill it up if needed.
Being bull headed comes with the title, but that stubbornness can be good.
Taurus is known for its short temper, but also for its strong  caring heart.
Our passion is our best strength, and our biggest weakness. Use it wisely.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sorry for your loss

But if I hear one more person tell me how much money they lost in the stock market!!!
We are starting into our busy season and it seams that every other customer wants to complain about losing hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars last year in the stock market.
Well boo hoo!

I can't wipe away your problems, but I'm so sorry that you lost more money that you gained without working for in the past year then I have fought so hard to earn in the past five or 10 years. But somehow you deserve it more then the rest of us so I have to feel bad for you. My nuckles have blead while you shed nothing more then friends that no longer fit your monetary bracket, but I should feel bad for you?
I'm so sorry that you might have to give up one of your million dollar condos for this season. It's such a shame that you might only be able to visit 20 states and 3 countries this year to reduce your budget to probably $200,000.00 for the summer season. No one should have to limit there international travel to less then $20m to cut down on expenses.

The rest of us should work harder and spend more then we can afford even if it means loosing our homes or not being able to put food on the table for our kids, just so you can profit from our hard work and revive this economy It's our civic duty! It's ok that we have to struggle to make ends meet while you sit in the sauna. Never concern yourself for those who keep that sauna clean, or the streets free of debris or the beaches pristine or hotel room perfect. don't worry about it, timmy ate yesterday and he will be over in a moment to blow bubbles in your bath for you to make your day better.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Nowhere

Have you ever been to nowhere?
That's where I'm going.
Is it brighter there?
I hate not knowing.
There has to be more to life then this.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The me I don't want to be

I apologize for this introspection, but someone took a picture of me and I don't like what I see. It's not a matter of lighting or pose or context. Somehow a complete stranger on the trail captured my feelings.

I call this picture sorrow because that's all I see in the eyes of this stranger even though this stranger is me. 
I don't know this person and I don't want to know him or become him.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Direction from above

While looking for answers and direction in my life I decided to look to the stars, kinda. I knew that I wanted to go somewhere, but I didn't know where or why so I consulted the almighty GPS. I'm new to geocaching but I'm hooked! If you're not familiar with it, it is like a cross between hide and seek and treasure hunting with clues. Someone hides an item refered to as a cache and then tells people the GPS coordinates online with maybe a hint to begin the hunt. Your job is to find the cache.

~~~ If you're a geocacher  -   Spoiler Alert! ~~~
~~~ Images below clearly show the caches! ~~~

I have realy needed a distraction the past few weeks, and this was perfect. I had a great time looking for two geocaches today in the Lancaster County Conservancy. Aside from my GPS locking up all went well and I had fun looking for these treasures. It still blows me away that this type of place is only a few miles from home. 8.6miles according to www.geocaching.com The seeps were interesting, like watching a streem being born. The vast views and the closeup beauty were all so impressive. Seeing the field of Daphodiles growing in the wild was, well, wild. The work they are doing returning open farmland to nature is an impressive project and the way that nature is voluntarily taking back what we left behind is compelling. This is a must see region that mingles with the Conestoga Trail. This was a perfect spring day to go for a hike, but I wouldn't have known about this place if not for www.geocaching.com.

Note: When my GPS locked up and I had to restart it by removing the batteries, I lost my trail so there was no backtracking. Always save a waypoint for where you park! I continued to another cache hoping that I could get back by instinct and memory and sence of direction but I wouldn't recomend it in a broader setting. In fact my instinct told me that all I had to do was keep going north and I would cross the road I parked on. I was wrong. The road I parked on ended 100yds west of where I parked and the path I was going on was 1 mile or more west of that point.

Updated 4-12-09
I returned to House Rock Nature preserve. I was hoping that the Daphodiles would be in bloom, but I still enjoyed exploring more of this area today.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Where are we going?

Where are we going?
I know where we are
I have been here before
I have been here too long
Is our destination the same
or are we just crossing paths
Is today the beginning of life
or the end of our journey
Now that we're here
where do we go?
Is there direction
I need to know.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Stormy Skies

An interesting storm just blew through here. It looked like a tornado could form, but it didn't here, just horizontal rotation between the layers of clouds and small hail, about 1/2" and smaller. The most interesting part was the smell of ozone and sea water in the air since I am about 150 miles from the ocean. It smelled like a day at the beach and I'm not the only one that smelled it. The temp here rose to about 64 degrees, but then suddenly dropped to about 51 degrees within about 15 minutes. There was also a significant difference in temperature between ground level and my balcony only 12 feet above ground. Coworkers and customers told me that for them the temp had risen to nearly 80 degrees and dropped to the 50s just as quickly.

I love watching storms like this!

Spring is here!

Oh and there was a tornado warning, but I only found out after the fact, I just wanted to take the photos.
Update: 3-30-09 There was a tornado just north of me and there was significant damage to buildings, but fortunately no serious injuries.
Here are photos by viewers from our local TV station WGAL

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Graduation

It's graduation time in the Philippines and I just had to share with everyone how proud I am of my Sunshine and her wonderful children.

Today is the day that you decide
what tomorrow will become.

As a child I did not see the value of education until I was at least 9 or ten, and more so later in life. I pursued my education through hands on training and self education, but if I had realized at a younger age how important education is I might have lived an entirely different life. I am so proud to see that her children recognize that education is the best way to make a better life for themselves, their family, and their country. To excel in your studies just because you want to succeed and thrive someday impresses me no matter where you live!

Congratulations is not nearly enough to show how impressed I am with each of them. I wish I could be there to share in the celebrations, but my Sunshine and her blessed children deserve all of the glory for their achievements and hard work and accomplishments. To the Valedictorian I offer my greatest respect and admiration after your speach and nagmartsa, and I humbly ask forgiveness if I did not use the term properly.

* image borrowed from wikipilipinas.org

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Emerging life

The first day of spring was a couple of days ago here, so I'm a bit late with this post, but today I had a chance to go for a nice walk to enjoy the changes that are ocurring here. Since fall the only colors were gray or brown and remnants of green unless covered in white. Today I decided to look for life emerging in preparation for the warmth that is coming. The longer, warmer days are encouraging the young sprouts to come out and enjoy the day, but only the hardiest are able to make it through the chilly nights.

When you look at these photos don't just see the grays and browns, look closer for the reds, and greens and signs of life.
I will be showing the progress of spring returning when I can. I Added a few photos today.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Saint Patricks Day

I wish all of you the most joyous Saint Patrick's Day.
May your days be filled with Sunshine,
and your nights be filled with family Time.
May you be blessed with a heart filled with love
and a home filled with joy.

They speak of the luck of the Irish.
Well this Irishman is the luckiest man in the world
because of the most beautiful woman in the world.

I love you Sunshine! And that's no blarney!
I am blessed by having you in my life!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lets do the time shift again

Well, it's that time of year again here. We loose an hour of sleep and pretend that we are ahead of the game until Daylight Savings Time ends. Why do we bother? There is real time and Daylight Savings Time. Isn't real time good enough? Why do we feel that we can improve on what has worked for millennium? 
To be honest, I don't see the benefit. To be selfish, it just means that the woman I love and I are no longer 13 hours apart, but only 12. That doesn't bring us any closer, the distance is still the same, the love we have is still the same. If we can "alter" time, why can't we alter distance and bring my Sunshine here to my time zone?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fat Today, I mean Fat Tuesday or Fausnaught Day

Today is the day that the Amish used up all of there excess fat to make donuts, or doughnuts called fausnaughts. Unfortunately, the English as we are called if not Amish, have decided to capitalize on this tradition and you can get a fausnaught at any grocery store or Turkey Hill Mini Market, or bakery.

They range from the traditional bland dough balls to simple sugar coated to a common heavy powdered sugar coated variety. I personally think it is just an excuse to eat donuts! That's ok with me! I can blend in with the culture and eat a few donuts, I mean fausnaughts.