Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ranch Parmesan Pretzels

Have you ever gotten tired of the normal "snacks" available in the store? They all seem to be the same after awhile so I decided to experiment and come up with something that I liked. I normally don't share recipes. OK I normally don't have any recipes to share, but I'm told that I got this one right. I have been making Ranch Parmesan pretzels as a snack and I decided to share it with you. It's so easy to make and since technically it is basically just wheat and milk products and spices it is healthy!  Right?

All you need is the following.
A large pot, big enough for all of the pretzels
Either 2 cookie sheets covered in aluminum foil or large disposable aluminum pans
   Disposable foil pans about 12" x 18" x2" deep is easier and less messy.

Ingredients
1lb of miniature pretzels, but experiment with other pretzels too.
1/4 pound of butter
1 pack of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
1 ounce of grated Parmesan cheese

Season to taste with
3/4 of a pinch of Old Bay Seasoning
7/16 of a bit of Adobo seasoning
And no more then 1/32 of a smidgen of black pepper

Just kidding about the specific seasoning instructions. I know you will enjoy the Ranch Parmesan pretzels without any other seasonings added beyond the ranch dressing mix, but have fun with it, make it your own recipe by adding what you think sounds good.

Simple directions
preheat oven to 350 degrees while you prepare the ingredients on the stove top.
Melt the butter slowly at low heat on the stove top in the large pot.
Be careful not to scorch the butter.
Lower the temp of the burner as low as possible after butter is melted
After butter is completely melted add the packet of ranch dressing mix and stir thouroughly
Add the Parmesan cheese slowly and stir frequently so the cheese doesn't start to brown in clumps while cooking.
add the other seasoning to taste, or choose your own
After everything is mixed together and the mix is still hot add the pretzels
Stir the pretzels into the mix and stir the mix over the pretzels, be sure that all of the pretzels are covered as equally as possible, then stir it again.
Spread the coated pretzels evenly onto foil covered cookie sheets or pans and bake for 10 minutes
Carefully remove from oven and rotate the pretzels and mix. Try to bring the pretzels on the bottom to the top and vice verse
Return to oven for another 5 minutes
Remove from oven carefully and allow to cool
I like to "stir" the pretzels while on the cookie sheet when they are still warm to ensure that they cool evenly and are well mixed.

Please note, that it is important not to serve broken pretzels to others!
All broken pretzels must be consumed immediately! so as not to put others at risk for wanting more by getting less then a complete pretzel. That's the rule! I didn't make it up! OK, I did and I broke a bunch of pretzels tonight!

Enjoy

2 comments:

Emily said...

These pretzels are the best! When I made them, I added extra cheese and it was delicious! I only cooked for 10 minutes total though. When cooked for 15, they got a little burnt. Thanks for posting this recipe!

Bruce Flanagan said...

Thank you Emily. I'm glad that you enjoyed them. It's always good to adjust a recipe to meet your needs like adding more cheese or using baked pretzels since they absorb more mix and I love adding Old Bay crab seasoning from Maryland. Keep cooking, it's fun and tasty.