Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Sausage Loaf

I have been asked to share this recipe for my Sausage Loaf. I wasn't going to, but here it is. Feel free to adjust this recipe to fit your taste. This is far from health food, but I have to admit that it is very tasty. The addition of bacon as a garnish on top of this pork sausage, cheese and potato loaf I think says it all. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 lb Jimmy Deen Ground sausage
1 cup Pepperidge Farms Whole Grain Seasoned croutons
1 cup Kraft Cheddar & Colby Jack shredded cheese
1 ounce KC Masterpiece Barbecue sauce
1 ounce Heinz ketchup
3 ounces of Hunts tomato paste
2 ounces of diced sweet onions
1 tablespoon powdered ranch dressing mix
1 box Betty Crocker Julienne potatoes (prepared as instructed)
Season to taste with Goya Adobo and/or other seasonings

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 deg.
in a small glass or mixing cup combine the barbecue sauce, ketchup and tomato paste to make a thick sauce.
in a large pot combine the sausage, croutons, onions, ranch dressing and most of the sauce above.
Leave enough of the sauce for glazing the loaf later.

Move sausage mixture to 5" x 9" loaf pan and spread evenly.
Bake at 375 deg. for 30 minutes
Drain excess fat and juices and use remainder of sauce to spread over the top of loaf as a glaze.
Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
While loaf is baking prepare Julienne potatoes on stove top as indicated on box.
When potatoes start to thicken add most of the Cheddar & Colby Jack shredded cheese to thicken the mix.
After 15 minutes remove the loaf from the oven and drain as needed.

Increase oven temp to 425 degrees
Center the loaf in the pan and pour julienne potatoes mixture over top of loaf.
Return to oven at 425 degrees for roughly 30 minutes or until potatoes start to brown on top.
Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar & Colby jack cheese on top and return to oven long enough to melt and brown the cheese.
Remove from oven.
Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing from loaf pan.
Slice to desired thickness and serve hot.

Don't let looks deceive you, I'm told that this is similar to Shepherds Pie, or Cottage Pie, but this is not lamb or beef, it is pork and has a taste all it's own.

0 comments: