Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Silvermine Park North in the snow

On Saturday morning I decided to go for a hike to get away for a little while. It was so beautiful and peaceful back there in the woods. Normally when there is snow on the ground it is nearly silent in the woods, but the recent ice storm gave this hike an interesting twist, the crunch factor! It was nearly impossible to walk without crunching through the snow and waking every bird and animal for miles.

There was also an odd quiet with an unusual echo at times depending on where you were and the condition of the snow. It ranged from soft snow with a thin coating of ice to just white ice and even solid ice. It was comforting to hear the crunch when walking heal toe to penetrate the crust because there were places where the ice crust was thick enough to support my weight which means sliding instead of walking.

The buzzards and Hawks and even the Blue Birds and the tiny Black Capped Chickadees didn't seem to mind the cold even though it was only about 20 degrees F. I didn't even feel the cold except for when I stood still for too long waiting for nature to present itself. It usually didn't take too long.

0 comments: