Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pequea Marina, Rails 2 Trails and Trout Run Nature Preserve

It was a great weekend. I started on Saturday morning at the Pequea Marina. They just recently opened the new bridge the new parking lot right on the river. Today the river was higher then I have ever seen it. It had overflowed into the parking lot by up to 17 feet in places. It's always nice to be on the river.

Then I decided to check out some new trails in Pequea at the Pennsy Rd Underpass. This is part of the Rails to Trails project. Recently opened to the public. There is a geocache at the end, but I decided not to look for this one and to allow others to ensure that it is still there and in good shape. My fear of heights has nothing to do with it, I just don't want to deprive others by me finding it.

Keep your eyes open for Bald Eagles, Vultures, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Indigo Buntings and so much more while there. The fairly recent avalanche is also interesting if you enjoy geology. I just like interesting rock formations, and these are interesting. I picked up a piece of the fallen rock and it crumbled easily in my had. No wonder it crashed to the ground leaving a scar so high up the hill side.

On Sunday I was only going to follow the Rails to Trails path East, but my GPS told me that I was close to a nearby cache, so I added the hike around then back through Trout Run Nature Preserve. What a place. If you decide to enter the park from the rail bed. Follow the trail along the stream, not the one to the right that takes you to the top of the hill like I did. It only takes you as far as some homes 1 1/2 miles up the hill, then the trail ends. I wasn't about to turn back after 1.5 miles so I carefully wandered through the field and forest following nothing by my gut and my GPS. I figured it would take me to the cache in the park so 2 problems solved. I'm not sure which was more dense, me or the forest. I found my way back to the park and the cache, but I never want to do that again without telling anyone where I am. I encountered wetlands, bogs thick thorn patches, stream crossings, ground hog holes stone flies and so much more. All that on a Red Beat egg for breakfast. I guess I didn't think this one through very well, because I also only had a Quart of water with me and no snacks and no phone service. But it was still a wonderful hike today even though it kicked my butt!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Spoiler Alert! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Images below show the cache and may reveal the location.

Monday, May 25, 2009

The end of a great weekend and so much more

Sunset on Memorial Day thinking of Lucina.
Wishing she was here and knowing that she can't be.
As the sun sets here it is rising for her.
How will the fiery glow of the sun touch her new day?
Will it bring joy to her heart?
Or just be a reminder of the distance between us as it did for me at this moment.

Taken with my cell phone while watching the sun set.
I used my sunglasses as a filter.
Truly through my "eyes" or at least through my lenses.

Love should have no borders or rules. It should be allowed to follow the natural path as it is explored. there should be no reason why the past cannot be put behind us and the present be lived to the fullest.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Is that cache in your pocket or just a GPS?

My first Geocache on the bike. It was late at night and I tried to be inconspicuous when looking for a cache tonight, but I think looking for a micro cache at night without a flashlight is probably a bad idea. I used the light from my GPS to brighten the area, but it didn't reveal the cache, just me. I saw lights in windows turning on and eyes watching as I wandered around. I was right there! No a step to the left, nope too far I passed it, then I used the GPS display light one too many times. It died, not its fault, I guess I'll have to come back for this one.

Susquehannock State Park 5-23-09

What a wonderful day in a great park! The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the Eagles were flying! So of course, I was snapping photos while hiking and exploring this beautiful park in Drumore PA overlooking the Susquehanna River. It must have been time for white flowers to bloom be there where white blossoms and flowers all along the trails. There were several different varieties, all beautiful.

I found a geocache along the way, so if you are a cacher, don't look at the photos.

It was also great to see 2 Bald Eagles today, but unfortunately, no photos this time. I guess that means I will have to go back, soon and often. I haven't been here in 17 or 18 years, but it was even better then I remember.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Comunity Days at silvermie and a peak at the Silver Mine

This weekend Pequea township had their second annual "Community Days" event at the Silver Mine park. I can't tell you how happy I was to see this park so alive and full of life. The park was packed, but not crowded. More smiles per mile then you can count.
I am so impressed by the work of the township and volunteers that have revived this park from the dead and are bringing new life to it.

Thank you!

I had a great day in the park, and as a bonus I also had the opportunity to explore the actual Silver Mine that gives this park it's name. It is normally off limits to the public, but they offered guided tours of the mine this weekend. It's an exploration that reveals our past and the formation of this region. What an interesting tour.

I can't thank the people who have brought this park back to life enough.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cacheing in at Silvermine

You may already know that I love going to a local park here in Lancaster County PA. It's called Silvermine Park in Pequea Township. I love this park. It has so much to offer and so close to home. It's a great place for the family for walking, biking, hiking, bird watching, or even geocacheing.

I found 3 of the 4 geocaches so far. One has eluded me so far. That just gives me another reason to go back again. I Am always amazed by what I find when I am not looking and tonight after work I found a wild "pitcher plant" called "Jack in The Pulpit" here in this park while trying to get a better view of a cache site. I also wandered into the cave a little bit this time. It was so cool! Literally!

PS
The first cache was supposed to be in a half gallon container with a red lid. Guess what, I found a half gallon container with a red lid. I was surprised to see the cache in such poor shape and no log or trinkets inside, just ants and mold, and why would anyone use a sprayer?

It wasn't the cache, just a discarded half gallon sprayer with a red cap. I went back and found the real cache that I nearly tripped on the first time and retrieved the garbage I discovered so it could be thrown away. CITO!

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shiprock Hike and geocache

I'm feeling better, so I decided to look for some geocaches today. It was beautiful weather, and I decided to stay local again. Both caches have been on my to-do list, but now that my GPS actually works like it should, I had to go "hunting" for the elusive cache. The first was at Shiprock Nature Preserve In Willow Street PA. This geocache was here in town, which I didn't even know existed until I started using www.geocaching.com. This preserve is wonderful, and well maintained.

It was such a nice hike in the woods. The sun kept trying to peek through the clouds and the newly forming blanket of leaves on the trees. This preserve is alive with life both flora and fauna, the birds and squirrels own this sanctuary, but there was also an unseen visitor that I wish I had captured with my camera.

There were more Blue Jays and Cardinals then you can throw a stick at, by the way, don't do that. (I don't know where the phrase came from either) I think I also saw a Brown Headed Cowbird, but he seemed out of place in the woods.

I was determined to find this cache now that I have a working GPS unit. It didn't let me down even once today. No crashes or dumps or resets. No lost tracks or misdirection. This thing even locks in when I am inside a building now!

Any way, the hide was excellent! I only found it because the GPS said it was "here" but I couldn't see it. I decided to look for a place that I would put it if I was hiding it. I saw a great place, and it looked like there might have been activity there. But why put it on the back side of that tree? Nope, closer then you think. My dog feels so bad the way you used his words, but so happy to be at the base of that tree. Hint hint.

I was so happy to find that geocache that I had to look for another that I have passed by many times. This is in my daily travels, and some of the photos I took I have been meaning to stop and take for awhile, but the Cache was my incentive to explore. I discovered a trail that I might have to get permission to travel on that follows an old railroad bed. This cache gave me an opportunity to walk where I normally drive, so I could take some photos of a couple of interesting buildings and a root cellar.

~~~~ Spoiler alert again! ~~~~~
Some of these photos show the cache and it's location.

What a great place for a geocache! It's obvious that the person who placed it apreciates the beauty and charm of Lancaster County. The Amish farm nearby with the root cellar and the chickens and the old rail station are emblematic of Lancaster County Pennsylvania. The Farmstead nearby is a treasure from the past. You may notice that the white barn was built by Andrew and Kate Mehaffey in 1878.

This was such a relaxing day filled with new sites and closer looks at familiar places. It's never too late to look in your back yard for treasures. I keep finding treasures everyday.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Orange you glad that it's Spring?

From Spring 2009

Monday, May 4, 2009

A Wisterius Pine

A Wisteria vine growing on some pine trees.

Friday, May 1, 2009

To be a Taurus

We are Taurean.
That's what makes us strong and powerful but still gentle and tender.
We are passionate and loving, while being independent and self reliant.
We give without expectations but we love adoration or to receive in turn.
We don't see the glass half empty or half full, we simply fill it up if needed.
Being bull headed comes with the title, but that stubbornness can be good.
Taurus is known for its short temper, but also for its strong  caring heart.
Our passion is our best strength, and our biggest weakness. Use it wisely.