Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pequea Marina, Rails 2 Trails and Trout Run Nature Preserve

It was a great weekend. I started on Saturday morning at the Pequea Marina. They just recently opened the new bridge the new parking lot right on the river. Today the river was higher then I have ever seen it. It had overflowed into the parking lot by up to 17 feet in places. It's always nice to be on the river.

Then I decided to check out some new trails in Pequea at the Pennsy Rd Underpass. This is part of the Rails to Trails project. Recently opened to the public. There is a geocache at the end, but I decided not to look for this one and to allow others to ensure that it is still there and in good shape. My fear of heights has nothing to do with it, I just don't want to deprive others by me finding it.

Keep your eyes open for Bald Eagles, Vultures, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Indigo Buntings and so much more while there. The fairly recent avalanche is also interesting if you enjoy geology. I just like interesting rock formations, and these are interesting. I picked up a piece of the fallen rock and it crumbled easily in my had. No wonder it crashed to the ground leaving a scar so high up the hill side.

On Sunday I was only going to follow the Rails to Trails path East, but my GPS told me that I was close to a nearby cache, so I added the hike around then back through Trout Run Nature Preserve. What a place. If you decide to enter the park from the rail bed. Follow the trail along the stream, not the one to the right that takes you to the top of the hill like I did. It only takes you as far as some homes 1 1/2 miles up the hill, then the trail ends. I wasn't about to turn back after 1.5 miles so I carefully wandered through the field and forest following nothing by my gut and my GPS. I figured it would take me to the cache in the park so 2 problems solved. I'm not sure which was more dense, me or the forest. I found my way back to the park and the cache, but I never want to do that again without telling anyone where I am. I encountered wetlands, bogs thick thorn patches, stream crossings, ground hog holes stone flies and so much more. All that on a Red Beat egg for breakfast. I guess I didn't think this one through very well, because I also only had a Quart of water with me and no snacks and no phone service. But it was still a wonderful hike today even though it kicked my butt!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Spoiler Alert! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Images below show the cache and may reveal the location.

0 comments: