Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Monday, June 29, 2009

Rays Woods Nature Preserve

This was a very nice short hike on Sunday afternoon. This preserve is right behind a small group of homes nestled into the woods and surrounded by farm land. I enjoyed the abundant wild life like birds and deer and at least one hawk. Not one of them would pose for me however. This place looks so pristine until you see all of the trash that fellow geocachers gathered recently so it can be removed from the woods. They have done a great job cleaning up this area.

If not for the trail markers you would barely know that you were on a trail at times. The understory of ferns and other plants is so dense that at times you don't even see the ground you are walking on. I recommend that you bring a walking cane or a stick or walk with a heavy foot as you go through these areas because if you can't see the ground, what else can't you see?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Spoiler Alert! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Images below show the cache and may reveal the location.

YouTube! Cache Event

This was my first Geocaching event. I decided that I should ride my mountain bike to this event even though I don't ride as often or as far as I used to. It was a great event, tubing on the Pequea Creek. I chose not to go tubing, but the scenery and people were great. The terrain however was a challenge that I'm proud to have conquered. I look forward to seeing all of these people soon. It was a great ride and a great day.

Oh never mind, you have to see this cache!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Martic Township Park Hike & Cache

On Wednesday I went for a hike in search of a cache. I had put it off since the last time I was here it was a bit challenging since I was still smoking. Wow what a difference since I quit. I didn't want to stop hiking even after I found the cache! This is such a picturesque place. The terrain just keeps you wanting to see what is on the other side of the next hill or what's in the next valley.

For some reason this hike became more about the bugs then the cache even though the cache was very well hidden and an enjoyable find. It started almost as soon as I got there. I am normally not bothered too much by gnats, flies or mosquitoes during the day, but they all made there presence known as soon as I hit the trail. I'm thinking it was the pancakes for breakfast which is out of the ordinary for me.

After finding the cache I was attracted by a wild daisy with a very small garden wasp on it. It just seemed like something you would see, well, in a garden, not in the middle of the woods.

As I wandered along the path I saw many interesting plants, structures and insects like the Jade colored beetle and the moth that looked like a flying leaf. But the oddest bug landed on my sunglasses just as I got in the car to go home. I thought it was a smudge as I put my sunglasses on and started to pull away, then the smudge moved.

I gently tapped him off of my sunglasses onto the trunk, but I have no clue what that bug is that I chased across the trunk of my car to get a picture of. If you are wondering, the end with the "pincers" and feelers or antenna is the front, or at least the direction it moves very fast in. I have to admit that it was a bit unnerving to have this critter less than a quarter inch from my eye after I think about it.

I loved this hike and the cache and even the bugs, ok, not the gnats in the corner of my eye or the mosquitoes, but the rest of it. I actually went for a short bike ride that night to see the stars, sorry no photos, but to be able to ride a short distance and see so much more of the sky woke me up and made me feel alive at midnight.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Don't Give Up

I have always loved this video and I decided to share it today based on recent events. I won't give up, but there are some that see being unemployed as an end. Never forget that you have friends and that there is another day approaching.

Make tomorrow the day that you wish yesterday had been! It's up to you! it's up to me! It's up to all of us to make each day better then yesterday by putting our past behind us and working towards our future.

Greet each day with a smile and a positive attitude and hold on tight to the ones you love and trust. Let them be your rock, your moon, your sunshine while you open your heart to them because everyone benefits from a warm hug even from afar.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Steinman Run Nature Preserve hike & Cache

Yet another great nature preserve within a few miles from home. I looked for the cache on Sunday the 14th, but since I didn't reed the logs first, I thought my GPSr was wrong so I turned back. It was telling me to go west, but the only thing to the west was dense forest. A nature preservation trust would never want you to go bushwhacking so it had to be wrong.

I would have known it was a loop if I had read the logs first LOL. I found the cache and continued the loop eventually covering familiar ground again. It's so nice back in there, and I will try to find out what the small white plants are.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Ride in the woods

I'm no biker dude, just a bike rider and I'm loving it again. Granted, I won't be riding 70 to 120 miles a day like I used to years ago, but each ride is interesting and fun, and sometimes painful but always worth it. This trip was on some nice trails nearby. I used to ride trails like these as fast as I could go to challenge myself and for the excitement. Now it's a challenge just to stay upright at lower speeds and I was wishing I had my helmet. None the less it was an exhilarating ride and a nice workout.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Smile

Tomorrow is a new day
so always look forward to putting the past behind you.
Greet each day with a smile and accept what each day brings.
Keep a positive attitude and the rest will fall into place.
Unemployment is not the end of the world.
It is an opportunity to reinvent and rediscover yourself.
Live it, love it and embrace what ever is next!
Enjoy the ride even though it might be bumpy at times.  
No matter how bad it gets.
Just remember to
Smile.

I love this un-rehearsed video by Charise Pempengco

Be sure to visit  www.charicepempengco.com

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A firey Sunset

No color modification. This is what I saw tonight.