Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bison Tubing on the Pequea

Today I decided to join some fellow Geocachers for an event at Sickmans Mill on the Pequea Creek in Lancaster County PA. We went tubing on the Pequea, and yea, this time I actually did go tubing. I left the bike at home so I could go with them. I'm glad I did. It was so relaxing and invigorating and interesting. I haven't gone tubing since the 80's, and back in the old days they were just inner tubes not these new fangled, canvas covered, handle bearing, multi-colored floating devices. The new tubes are much better. And don't call me grandpa! I'm used to walking along beside the streams and rivers as I hike, so I felt a bit like a fish looking out of the fish bowl for a change. I loved it!

It was so nice floating down the Pequea, and trying to anchor myself long enough to get some pictures, and a couple of movies. I really enjoyed the conversations with other tubing cachers and relaxing while the water swept us slowly down stream. Then someone, (I won't mention your name Lynn) said, Hey, one of the caches is up there, and pointed up the side of the hill along the stream. Three of us were foolish enough to climb the steep bank to get to this cache. I was last since I had dropped my GPSr in the water and had to retrieve it. Boy was I relieved when I found it. Note: The Magellan Triton 300 A. does not float as advertised, and B. is not water proof as advertised. But it will survive I hope. Anyway, the other two found the cache and were nice enough to let me log it as well. We only found out later that this cache was not intended to be retrieved from the water like we did. You're supposed to go to it from the trail/road that parallels the creak. It didn't matter, it was fun and an adventure.

After tubing we went back to the mill for a nice picnic and more conversation, and a tour of the mill. The owner has done an extremely good job of restoring this old mill from the mid 1800's. Some of the group went for round two on the Pequea, but I stayed behind with the others and enjoyed the sun and company and conversations.

I still think it is ironic that the van to pick us tubers up had a leaking tire. All he needed was, guess what, a new tube for his tire and he was surrounded by them.

0 comments: