Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ride to Shiprock Woods Nature preserve

Today was one of those days where I couldn't decide if I wanted to go bike riding or hiking. The weather forecast was warning me not to do either, but I had to get out! So I decided to do both.

I hopped on the Bike and enjoyed most of the ride until the right pedal decided that it was time to retire. I barely made it to the top of the hill, and when I stopped I accidentally kicked the pedal off of it's axle or stem. I was able to do some temporary repairs using nothing but my pocket knife, so I continued to Shiprock.

Have you ever had a great idea that you thought might not be such a good idea any more? Well, my right pedal has no bearings and wants to fall off. Storms are rolling in and the winds are picking up. It's getting darker in the middle of the day, but hey! I made it this far, why not go for a hike as planned?

After locking up the bike so the squirrels wouldn't take it for a joy ride, I explored these trails and saw them for the first time even though I had been here before. The birds, the sound of the wind rustling through the canopy, the dogs barking in the distance, ok I could have done without the dogs barking, but otherwise it was great.

After returning to the bike for the ride home, the only natural path was directly past Pequea Valley Hotel. A local bar that I used to frequent in my past after my divorce. I wanted to go in, but I chose to continue my ride instead. It was a bit of a push since it is all up hill from Shiprock, but I rolled back into Willow Street with a sore left leg and a great day to remember.

0 comments: