Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Shenks Ferry Hike and Cache I'm Back!

Depression sucks so I refuse to accept it and just move on without her. I'm gonna live my life and enjoy each day as much as I can. Today in Shenks Ferry was an eye opener and I can't wait to share places like this with the twins someday. I don't know how to be a single father of twins, but I will do my best and I will bring them to places like this so that they appreciate how precious they are to me and how important it is to apreciate nature.

It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining through the clouds and peeking through the tree tops guiding my every step. If only my GPS was as good of a guide, but in the end, as broken as it is, it still led me to the prize after many choice words, battery changes and restarts.

I found this place by accident when looking for a place to get away from everything that's been going on and missed most of it the first time I was here because doing 60 on a winding dirt road requires concentration and a better car then mine. I almost ditched it a few times, but it survived minus a few missing chunks.  I can't believe I drove my car all the way back through this at that speed but I knew that I had to come back to see this in a possitive frame of mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Spoiler Alert! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Images below show the cache and may reveal the location.

When I came back today I was amazed by what I missed the last time. The workmanship, detail, and colors of the tunnel to start out with made me see that life needs to be paid attention to. As I walked along taking in the sounds like a bird that sounded a little like a yiping Chihuahua and the Hawks, Blue Jays and Black Capped Chickadees etc... everything else just fell away. Not less important, but less imposing and less of a burden. I walked a few more miles and wandered way off the path down the fire brake just to see what was there. I upset a few critters that I never saw in the dense brush, but it was a nice walk.

I ventured back to the actual Preserve and followed the trail and it was very nice wandering along the streem bed. I was impressed how well most of the trail is maintained. There were even benches along the trail in a couple of places so you could sit and apreciate nature. I stopped short of following the trail to the end by following a different trail that led me to the geocache, but I will be back to see the rest of this park. I can't wait to see it in the spring since it is a wildflower preserve. The cache was a bit further off track then expected, but in pretty good shape. It's not about the geocache  its about the adventure

0 comments: