Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mill Creek nature Hike

All summer long I had planned on checking out some possible trails nearby but I never quite made it. Today was such a beautiful clear cool December day I decided to go check the area out by myself. It would have been nice to have someone there to share it with me, but it was still enjoyable.

This park along the Mill Creek in Lancaster County Central Park was a surprise to me because it is right on the outskirts of Lancaster City. I knew of the general area and had passed by this park many times over the years. It's actualy called Mill Creek Campground, but I suspect it is for large groups like scouts and chuches and schools etc... I don't think individuals are alowed to camp there, but I will look into that because it would be a great place to camp under the stars.

At one end of the trail there is a 19th century metal bridge that many people call the singing bridge. There is also a beautiful 19th century mansion near that bridge. At the other end, I was surprised to come to the base of a covered bridge. I had been on that covered bridge once before, but I didn't expect to encounter it on this hike. The trail continues past this covered bridge, but it was starting to get dark and I didn't bring water so I turned back. I will have to explore the trail further on the other side of that covered bridge.

0 comments: