Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hawk Mountain

Hawk Mountain is a wildlife refuge and raptor conservation center in Berks County PA. It is an excellent place to hike and view mother nature and observe many raptors like Hawks and Eagles. There is of course plenty of other wild birds, but the area is best known for its Golden Eagles and Bald Eagles Along with Red Tail Hawks, Sharp shinned Hawks, Coopers Hawks and many other species.

The weather was fairly warm for late October, about 72 degrees, but it started out a bit more overcast then I had hoped for. The trails were a bit more challenging then expected on our first branch of trail so we had to retrace our steps and choose a new path. The trails improved for a bit until we got closer to the North Lookout. As the trails became more rocky a light mist from the low clouds we were entering started creeping in.

The view from atop the North Lookout was amazing and certainly worth the short hike. The panoramic vista is so beautiful and on a good day I'm sure the view goes on and on to the horizon. As we retreated to the car, the clouds began to wring out their moisture as the light mist increased to a steady drizzle. As we passed previous outlooks it was clear that we had made it just in time to appreciate the views which were now obscured completely by clouds. We made it to the car just in time for the rain to start, then a stop at the Port Clinton Hotel warmed us up and filled our bellies before heading home. I look forward to hiking here again very soon.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hike at Lake Ontelaunee

Lake Ontelaunee is a man made lake in Berks county. It was formed when the Dam was built in 1926 on the Maiden Creek to aid in the water supply of Reading and the surrounding area. This 1,000 plus acre lake is now refuge to water fowl and much of the forest around the lake is used by the PA Game Commission for "wildlife propagation" and is protected from public entry. Much of this lake is visible but inaccessible to the public. There are few trails, and limited parking areas. It's a shame that Berks County Park System doesn't utilize this beauty as a gem to share with the community. Although I visited this area a bit early in the fall, there was already a hint of color on the northern shore of the lake. I look forward to exploring this area more as the leaves change and probably into the winter.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Haverford Township Day

I grew up in Havertown PA and recently they have been throwing an event called Haverford Township Day. They close off most of Darby Rd, the main drag through town and some of Brookline Blvd and some other side streets to hold a festival for the residents of Havertown and our close and distant neighbors. They have a variety of vendors selling crafts and other goods. There were food stands selling goodies like funnel cake and pizza, Live music and bouncy rides for the kids to play in, and so many people! It was a great turnout and everyone was so friendly. For a group of probably 20,000 people it was quite orderly and well, neighborly. I guess Havertown does still have that small hometown appeal after all these years away.