Windows Tips Downloads Birds of PA Back to our home page Find out About Us View My Gallery Visit our Forum

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hikeathon

With such nice weather I wanted to visit Nolde Forest State park again and get some better pictures of the root cellar I saw there a few weeks ago. I was amazed at the difference in the foliage and wild life that blossomed within such a short time. the forest was truly alive with birds and chipmunks and red squirrels it felt like a completely different place from my most recent visit. The day started out a bit chilly, but after a few miles of hiking at Nolde Forest it warmed up and I didn't want to let this beautiful day pass by so quickly so I decided to head south to French Creek State Park. I have been to French Creek many times, and I proposed to Dee at Hopewell Lake in French Creek, but I had not been to Scotts Run Lake in French Creek since I was a child. It was nice to hike the perimeter of the lake and see the nice trails that are easily traversed by foot or mountain bike. Although there was not much in the way of flowers I did come across a few little specimens along the way. This small man made lake is ideal for fishing and boating and there are numerous trails to follow.

South from Neversink Mountain. A sequal along the river

I had planned on exploring more of Neversink Mountain Preserve today, but I decided to follow the path southwards towards Exeter PA. The path started out a bit rough and wet, but after crossing under the railroad through the tunnel it became a very nice biking and walking path. The tiny little flowers along the path brightened up this otherwise bland but warm day. The sun only made short appearances, but it was enough to drive away the rain that was trying to overtake the area. I felt like this was a study in macro because the flowers ranged from smaller then a thumb tack to no larger then a quarter, but the color and brilliance made up for the size. I will be returning for a walk or ride very soon to see this area as it comes alive in Spring and Summer along the Schuylkill River.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Neversink Mountain Nature Preserve

Neversink Mountain is located near Reading PA and this nature preserve consists of 900 acres of that mountain. There are an abundance of trails and parking at several locations, but so little signage or press about this area it is barely known by even the locals. In its hay day back in the 1800 to the beginning of the 1900s that is precisely what they wanted. There were many high end hotels and resorts on Neversink Mountain, but they were not for the local inhabitants. They were only published and advertised for in markets like Philadelphia and New York. This was also part of the demise of these grand resorts as luxury travel became less affordable at the dawn of the 20th century. These hotels and other amenities like stables were also only open from June to October. With the spectacular views, I'm sure much more pleasing to the eye back in the 1800s, and natural resources like fresh spring water and as they put it the healing cooler air of the mountain this could have remained an amazing retreat for all to love, but over the years it fell into disrepair and fell out of the minds of the surrounding communities. The Berks County Conservancy is doing a great job making this a place to enjoy again. Be sure to visit their site and the Mountain.  http://www.berks-conservancy.org/NaturePreserves/NeversinkMountain/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Sunday, April 3, 2011

To be me is to be free

I'm done checking my tongue in the mirror, I'm free!
I refuse to watch what I say if it's what I mean.
I can no longer hold back what is in my heart.
To be me is to be free if that's not ok, BITE ME!